Last update on March, 24
Immigration to Czech Republic
Currently, the border is closed for all immigrants unless they have a "valid reason" to cross the border (studying at a university is a "valid reason"). The conditions of your arrival depend on the risk level of the country you immigrate from. You can find the updated list here: link (English), link (Czech-always updated).
Current Active Restrictions
You can find the information about current restrictions here: link (English)
Currently, it is mandatory to cover your face everywhere in populated areas (around buildings in cities) and to wear FFP2 or KN95 respirators when going to crowded places (shops, public transportation). It is not possible to leave the district (Prague) you currently stay in apart from valid reasons (mostly studies and work). You should not leave your place of residence unless you have a valid reason. Walks in nature are allowed during daytime (5 AM - 9 PM).
Regarding the protective measures at UCT, please see their webpage about Coronavirus.
Contact with an Infected Person
What Should You Do?
If you have been informed about a close contact with an infected person, please follow these procedures:
- Contact the City of Prague Health Department immediately. They should inform you about the next steps. Do not visit any medical facility personally unless told to do so.
- If you stay in the dormitories, contact the dormitory management immediately so they can assign you an isolated room.
- Contact your coordinator (either in the Dean's office or the Department of International Relations) at the university. Do not go to the university for laboratories if you have a suspicion of being infected.
- Stay in qurantine for a period specified by the health department. if you haven't been able to contact the health department yet, stay there until you have not had any symptoms for three consecutive days after minimum of 10 days.
- Please, prepare a list of your close contacts (those without a face masks for at least 15 minutes without keeping a sufficient distance). You will provide it to the health department in case you are tested positive as well.
- Optional: Please, inform the individuals on the list so they can monitor their health and limit their unnecessary contacts with others. This is essential in case you are tested positive.
If you develop any symptoms which make you feel in danger, do not hesitate to call emergency services (112 or 155). Do not forget to mention your suspicion of COVID-19 infection.
Please, do not leave the quarantine or the isolation unless in an emergency, you might be sanctioned up to 3 mil. CZK (approximately 120 000 EUR) for violating the qurantine. That includes going to public parts of the dormitories while having symptoms or having a positive test result!
Contacts of Prague - South Hygiene Department
- 241 010 346
- 241 010 347
- 241 010 348
- 241 010 333 (please, try the others before this one)
If you get no reply, please try again. The lines are overloaded.
Email contact for the Prague department
Current Protective Measure
Since the high rate of community spread (untraceable to the orginial source), the ideal state (authorities tracing the spread of the disease) does not work anymore. In case you develop any symptoms characteristic to COVID-19 disease or get in close contact with an infected person, you should immediately contact your GP or the health department and follow their instructions.
Isolation Procedure (Ideal State)
- All individuals with a positive result from the PCR test are submited to an isolation for a period of 10 days starting from the sample collection.
- The isolation is lifted after 3 consecutive days without any symptoms characteristic to COVID-19 disease pass.
- The minimum isolation period is 10 days.
Symptoms Characteristic to COVID-19 Disease
- Fever lasting longer than two days
- Dry cough
- Difficulties with breathing
- Sore muscles
- Loss of senses (taste, smell)
- Severe headaches
The Czech Ministry of Health recommends following measures to reduce the risk of infection:
- Follow the basic rules of hygiene (wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, avoid touching your face)
- Keep a safe distance from others if possible (2 meters recommended)
- Use protective equipment (face mask, gloves) when exposed
- Keep a healthy lifestyle (both physical and mental)
- Avoid travelling to destinations with high risk of a community transmission (local, nation-wide and international)
You can see a score map for Czech Districts by clicking on this link.
Motol Hospital: Foreign and Private Patient Department
- Address: V Úvalu 84, Praha 5
- How to get there: The hospital is located close to "Nemocnice Motol" A line subway station
Private General Medical Practice
- MUDr. Youngová & spol., s.r.o.
- Address: Vítězné náměstí 829/10, 160 00 Praha 6 - Dejvice
- Phone 1: 222 366 166
- E-mail: email@example.com
Groceries during Quarantine and Isolation
Since you are not allowed to leave your room during the quarantine or the isolation, we would like to offer some tips about how to take care of your basic needs during this period.
There are several companies running supermarket e-shops. You can easily buy any groceries and drogistic products there. Unfortunately, those services are usually in Czech only but we believe it will not take much effort to navigate through those and you might even learn some Czech words during shopping!
- Tesco online shopping - English friendly
- Košík.cz - One of the most popular with Czechs (also it means basket in Czech)
- Rohlík.cz - Also one of the more popular (also it means roll in Czech)
Please, inform the delivery service whether you are quarantined! They usually leave the groceries behind the entrance door in case of quarantined / isolated customers.
You can also use delivery services to get something to eat for lunch or dinner.
- DámeJídlo.cz - English friendly. It has hundreds of places where you can order meals (also it means We'll have some meal in Czech)
- UberEats - English friendly. Apart from providing cheap taxi services, Uber also provides meals deliveries.
Apart from those two, there are other services which are not as popular as those two (e.g. Wolt). You can also check the restaurants and fast foods around the dormitories as some of those places might have their own delivery service. Again, plase inform the delivery service whether you are quarantined!